Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Comic Review 1-13-11

Here are some more books I picked up recently.  Sorry I took longer to write this one than I intended.  Too many snow storms this year. 

The Amazing Spider-Man #651

http://marvel.com/comic_books/issue/30326/amazing_spider-man_1999_651

Initial impression from cover: Ok, on the cover to issue 650 Spiderman’s costume is black and red but inside the book it’s black and green I was thinking this might be something to do with power setting because of the electronics involved but so far it looks like Web-Head’s new costume is black and green.  The cover though is a decent one and I am intrigued by the new Hobgoblin. 

After Reading:  I really am enjoying this book; it finds the balance of what I look for in a story.  I know as much about Spiderman as I know about Peter Parker.  To me that is the key.  I have to care not only about what is going on with Spidey as I do the man underneath and to see him coming out on top makes me happy.  If I had any one complaint and it is a minor one is I’m not a big fan of the art, specifically the coloring.  I feel like there are certain effects that look amazing on a computer screen that do not look quite right to me in print.  I may see about picking up a digital copy to see it that is the case.  I freely admit I am nitpicking at what I think is a good book and if the stories continue to be good I will continue to follow Spider man.  Something I haven’t done in years. 

Note: So the coloring issue is a side effect of the costumes sonic abilities it seems to have 3 modes Green is for invisible Red is for when it is scrambling sonic attacks and white seems to be off.  


Batgirl #17

http://www.dccomics.com/dccomics/comics/?cm=16597

Initial impression from cover: DC is doing a special series of pin up covers this month so it’s hard to rate the covers.

After Reading: This is a fun story and one of the things I think comics in general have been missing for years.  The new Robin in everything I have seen is an arrogant jerk.  In Batgirl #17 they have taken a step to humanizing him and basically show he is not a monster just has never had a chance to be a child.  In every other story of robin I want to strangle the little punk but now I feel bad for him.  Which makes this a good story.  It evokes an emotional response. 


Booster Gold #40 (minor Spoiler about end of book)

http://www.dccomics.com/dccomics/comics/?cm=16629

Initial impression from cover:  DC’s Pin up covers strike again. 

After Reading: This was a mediocre issue to me.  It might be because most of the story is just a recap of his origin and a set up for an upcoming story line.  I wouldn’t say it’s a bad story but there was nothing really new in it except for the scene at the end of the book where Rip hunter tasers Booster because he needs to be arrested in the future for his crimes. 


Doc Savage #10

http://www.dccomics.com/dccomics/comics/?cm=16653

Initial impression from cover: oh look another pin up cover.

After Reading: this story is completely stand alone but none the less very enjoyable and kind of tells new readers just how amazing Doc. Savage is.  One of the problems I’ve had with this series is that it feels all over the place.  This flashback takes a look at Doc Savage in a war setting where his p 


Red Robin #19

http://www.dccomics.com/dccomics/comics/?cm=16595

Initial impression from cover: Guess what DC did here… another pin up cover.

After Reading: I have been really enjoying the Red Robin series but than again I have been a long time fan of Fabian Nicieza and I think Tim Drake is a very interesting character.  I mean Drake ha been a detective since he was 12 and now that he is becoming a hero in his own right I like how he has developed. 
This issue takes place in a virtual reality and you can see artist Marcus To had a lot of fun with it and I really enjoyed some of the little nuances that he hid in some over the top imaging, like the use of binary code as a rope that was tying up Red Robin.  Overall I would highly recommend picking up Red Robin.


Widow Maker #3 of 4 

http://marvel.com/comic_books/issue/37889/widow_maker_2010_3

Initial impression from cover: I hate the cover.  I feel it’s not that great a piece of art but on top of that it tells you nothing about the story just 3 members of the cast.  Black Widow, Hawkeye and Mockingbird.  If I did not enjoy the characters so much I would not have picked up the book. 

After Reading: I am very disappointed in this series so far, which is sad cause I enjoy all the characters and really enjoyed the Hawkeye & Mockingbird mini series.  It seems to me like no one knows what to do with Hawkeye and Mockingbird but they know they should do something.  Skip this series. 

Look these are all my opinions if you agree with me fine.  If you don’t that’s fine to, I’m just trying to steer people who like the kind of books I do to some good books and away from bad ones.

No comments: