Saturday, February 19, 2011

Comic Review 2-19-11

Ok, so I was out of town for a few weeks and not able to pick up my books.  So what I am going to do is just pick 5 books at random from my huge stack of books every few days till I’m caught up. Oh and just a heads up I am adding a new critique, I will list weather or not I would get the next issue and would I recommend the book to a friend.

NOTE: Now I know I picked these at random cause after looking at all the books I realize I hate all the covers.  I have some DC books that are still doing the pinup covers and all the Marvel books I have are pinups as well.  Not one of them gives me a clue as to the story inside.  Again my personal issue is I feel that covers should never be so generic you could just take it and slap it on a poster.  It may be my age showing but I liked word balloons or text that gave a clue as to the story with an image that might be from the book, but enough of my complaining here are the first 5 books.

Green Arrow #8

http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=16614

Initial Impression from Cover:  See note above.

Would I recommend to a friend? Yes

After Reading: Writer J.T. Krul has done some amazing things with Green Arrow.  He has found a way to bring the whole Robin Hood story to a modern time with Green Arrow and yet not make it seem childish or a cliché.  Ever since Green Arrow has lost everything including his friends in the Justice League and all that went down with Arsenal there was really no where for Green Arrow to go.  Suddenly a magical forest appeared in Star City and the Green Arrow has made it his home as he has been finding himself.  It seems by returning him to a simpler time Ollie is finding his grounding and working his way back mentally.  
    One of the events in the current storyline is give him a sidekick named Galahad.  Galahad is obviously mentally unstable but the magic forest gives him purpose and it’s almost as if the forest is using him as a vessel to help Green Arrow.  Now they have started to introduce other heroes into the mix and amped the mysticism in the book, which I enjoy since Green arrow is such a simple character.  You have a guy running around with a bow and arrow and he is being surrounded by Etrigan the Demon and the Phantom Stranger… It doesn’t get any better than that.      

Will I get the next issue? Yes


Heroes for Hire #2

http://marvel.com/comic_books/issue/37196/heroes_for_hire_2010_2

Initial Impression from Cover:  See note above.

Would I recommend to a friend? Yes.

After Reading: I really like the idea of this book.  I think that they have taken the whole Charlie’s Angels/Birds of Prey Concept of a boss who is assigning missions and who sees the big picture and turned it on its ear.  Misty Knight is sending various mercenaries and Supers who could use some extra cash on missions.  This is a great way to bring back characters who don’t have there own book and still keep a steady story going, but if that’s not enough you have the fact that Misty Knight is actually being controlled by someone else, the Puppet Master.  This is interesting and has me curious to see how it unfolds.  

Will I get the next issue: Yes


Power Man and Iron Fist #1 of 5  

http://marvel.com/comic_books/issue/36035/power_man_and_iron_fist_2010_1

Initial Impression from Cover:  See note above.

Would I recommend to a friend: No.

After Reading: I am a little disappointed in the new Power Man and Iron Fist partially because there is a new Power Man but also because I find the new Power Man a bit of a caricature.  I like Luke Cage.  Over the years writers have given him a progression.  He has turned from an angry black man who was just out for himself into a man who now has a family and an important role in the super hero community.  
    Now you have a new Power Man named Victor Alvarez and on the whole I don’t like him.  He is one of those characters that doesn’t make sense.  Why work with Iron Fist if you don’t trust his judgment?  I feel like Victor is only working with Iron fist to increase his rep and give him some respectability, but I’m not even sure he respects Iron Fist.
    I admit this is my first exposure to the new Power Man and he may have a major back story that was revealed before in some other book but as the first issue of a brand new series this was lacking.  This story was introducing him to a bunch of readers who have no idea who this guy is and the writer didn’t make him likable.  Honestly I don’t know if I will pick up the next issue.  

Will I get the next issue? Maybe but now it depends more on the funds I have when it comes out.  


Teen Titans #91

http://www.dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=16649

Initial Impression from Cover:  See note above.

Would I recommend to a friend: No

After Reading: It’s amazing to me that I keep getting this book. I know that I’m really getting the book out of a sense of nostalgia for the old Wolfman and Perez Titans as well as the original Young Justice series. The problem is that I don’t think the current line up is solid.  Both in the old Titans and Young Justice there was a feel of family even with the occasional odd man out there was still a feel that they generally care about each other.  Between Ravager and the new psychotic Robin, bringing back Kid Flash and Superboy, the weird on again off again romance between Changeling/Beast Boy and Raven and finally throw in the fact that Wonder Girl is lost I honestly don’t feel like any 2 characters like each others as just friends.  It’s almost too much drama.  I almost don’t really know where the adventures end and begin cause all the soap opera nonsense over shadows it.  I’m not saying personal stories can’t be done but I think their needs to be a balance.  
    All in all I hope that this is all because JT Krul, who I happen to like as a writer, is trying to deal with all the cross over garbage from the Blackest Night as well as what I am guessing are editorial commands to bring Kid Flash, Superboy and the new Robin into the mix because of the new Young Justice TV show he is trying to find his footing.  Realistically the next few issues will be very telling.  The current story arc is over and they are starting one with Red Robin.  If some of the resolutions that happened already and some of the friendships that are starting to form cement than they may be on the path to recreating that Titans feel I am looking for.   (That’s only a guess, not a fact about the line up change.)

Will I get the next issue: Yes

Thunder Bolts #152

http://marvel.com/comic_books/issue/35672/thunderbolts_2006_152

Initial Impression from Cover:  See note above.

Would I recommend to a friend: No.

After Reading: I started getting back into Thunderbolts when they revamped it and put Luke Cage in charge.  I was hoping the new direction would be more interesting but honestly I am finding hard to get into the book. Hell, even the cliffhanger ending of this book of having Hyperion turn on them while not unexpected is kind of repetitive since he is being used to replace a guy that already turned on them (Crossbones).  The new Thunderbolts was supposed to be a Marvel version of the Suicide Squad but to be honest the feeling just isn’t right.  I think one of the big problems with comics today is the fact that writers constantly have to deal with big crossovers.  I think this is preventing them from getting a good writing rhythm going and preventing any long time story arcs to be properly planned.  

Will I get the next issue: Maybe…

No comments: